Resurrection Orthodox Presbyterian Church
|Meeting Time(s) and Location(s):||Sunday School: 9:30 AM|
Sunday Morning Worship: 10:30 AM
Sunday Evening Worship: 6:00 PM
Sunday morning meetings are held at the State College Friends School, 1900 University Drive.
Sunday evening worship is held at St. Peter's UCC, 1795 W. College Ave.
|Distance from Campus:||> 10 minute walk|
We believe that the purpose of human life is to glorify and enjoy God, and we exist as a church to do these things together: to worship God, to walk in love, and to witness to the good news of Jesus.
State College and Centre Country are the crossroads of God’s common grace and kingdom promises. In the midst of a beautiful, rural setting, PSU research magnifies God’s creative genius, and PSU students represent 55% of the world’s nations. In this place and from these people, we seek not to build a human institution or a social organization, but to gather a worshipping community. This community is formed around the proclamation of the good news (“gospel”) of Jesus Christ.
Our church proclaims good news, not good advice. We believe that the good news of Jesus Christ is wonderfully unique. Every other religion burdens you with advice about how to save yourself – regardless of how it defines concepts such as ‘God,’ ‘sin’, and ‘salvation’. Only the Bible tells the truth: that we are all worse than we think, but that God is better than we imagine. We cannot save ourselves. Nor do we have to try!
The good news is that God has already done everything necessary to save you. In the person and work of Jesus – his life, his crucifixion, his resurrection – God has secured forgiveness of sins and everlasting life for everyone who desires it. All you have to do is trust in Jesus Christ. Good news, not good advice.
Statement of Faith:
The full statement of what we believe the Bible teaches is found in the Westminster Confession of Faith & Catechisms: http://www.opc.org/confessions.html .
A brief summary of these teachings includes the following affirmations:
- The Bible is the infallible, inerrant Word of God
- Faith in Christ alone is the only way to salvation and communion with God
- God is to be worshiped in his glory and strength and in the beauty of his holiness
- The Bible is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy God
- Sound doctrine is necessary for true godly living
- Preaching should be biblical, expository, and authoritative
Practically, these mean that we are committed to the following:
- Historic Worship – We worship God according to the Bible using the historic hymns & psalms of the church, accompanied by classical instrumentation.
- Traditional Values – We echo Christ’s call for all people to submit to his Kingship and to live new lives by the power of the Holy Spirit, saying ‘No’ to sin and ‘Yes’ to righteousness according to biblical rather than cultural standards.
- Biblical Preaching – We seek to explain and apply the Bible clearly, so that people may come to trust in Jesus Christ and grow in their knowledge, love, trust, and obedience to God.
How to find out more about this organization: